Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Collections

Vintage mid-century matchbooks, A Collection A Day, Day 36

I have long been a collector of little nothings. At the top of my closet, under a pile of old sweaters, there is a hinged wooden box holding many of them: little rubber balls, various coins (including three plastic coins commemorating the 1988 Olympics, which I got from boxes of Corn Flakes), keys to places I don't live anymore, too-old-to-use spools of thread, ticket stubs from favorite movies and concerts and...bullfights (ok, there's only one of those).

So I'm in love with the new blog A Collection a Day, which I stumbled upon I'm-not- sure-where and which is now popping up all over the place. It documents a fascinating project by San Francisco artist and illustrator Lisa Cogdon, who describes the blog as follows:

"This is a blog documenting a project that will span exactly one year, from January 1, 2010 to December 31, 2010. On each of those 365 days, I will photograph or draw (and occasionally paint) one collection. Most of the collections are real and exist in my home or studio; those I will photograph. Some are imagined; those I will draw or (occasionally) paint."

How I love Lisa's collections. They inspire me to expand my own collecting beyond sentimental nothings, to indulge my tendency to hold on to all the little things that please me.


Vintage flash cards, A Collection A Day, Day 33


Tiny vintage plastic charms and figurines , A Collection A Day, Day 35


Sea urchins , A Collection A Day, Day 29


Pine cones , A Collection A Day, Day 23

Mugs , A Collection A Day, Day 14

*All images by Lisa Cogdon, posted with her permission

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting about Lisa Congdon! I've loved her work for years now-especially the shawdow box collages and log cabin pillows. Her bio and life as an artist have been inspiring to me since she decided to make a change and pursue her creative work in her mid-thirties :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bootie, I didn't know about her late bloomer status - makes me love her stuff even more!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails