Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Reason to love rain (#4)

image via cents-of-style

Ah, the classic trench and the obligatory blog homage to it. But the trench is much deserving - it is so practical and yet so perfect. Even my boyfriend thinks it's cute, but I acknowledge that that may be because he has a thing for WASPy blondes from the early eighties - Teri Garr worn one in "Mr Mom," Meryl Streep in "Kramer vs. Kramer," and Allie from the sitcom "Kate and Allie" rocked one too (the series is free on netflix and I've inflicted it upon him more than once. I know, I'm a horrible gf).

I, however, finally bought a trench coat last year and loved every rainy day in it even though I think I looked more like Colombo than anyone else. Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward for the rain to bring coolness instead of humidity so I can drag out my trench and have people ask me whether I've solved any crimes recently. I like the idea of it that much.

Oh, and for a lovely poem that further romanticizes the raincoat, see "Selecting A Reader" by Ted Kooser.

image by suffocatingIvy

That's Julie Andrews in a still from "Torn Curtain"

I like this image because I like to think that it's the real Audrey Hepburn wearing a trench and not just her character, Holly Golightly. image via cdn.write.demandstudio.com

image via stylebytes

photo of Meryl Streep via vogue.co.uk


And, of course, no one looks as lovely in the classic trench as Catherine Deneuve (just spend an afternoon with "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"), but who knew that she could also sell it with such sex appeal (clip from "La chamade").

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails